Monday, June 30, 2014

Not a thing to wear

This morning I did what had to be done and dropped maybe half the contents of my closet off at the closest thrift shop. There are two consignment boutiques closer by (one too intimidatingly pretentious for me to have ever been inside), but if there was ever a moment to even attempt consignment with these items, it was over five years ago at least. Most of what was in there seemed late-college-era at the newest, with a little bit from the interviews-and-job I had between college and grad school. Including one truly hideous pinstriped flared pantsuit (!) from Express, a tag still on the jacket, indicating not that I hadn't worn it, nor even that I was sneakily planning to wear then return it (it wasn't even a price tag, just something identifying the item), but rather that my attention to detail in that area in 2006 was somewhat lacking. Needless to say, there was stitching still left where it shouldn't have been in the suit I wore for a kind of important interview in 2005. Oh well.

The hope with this organization-fest was that I'd discover all the great stuff I already owned and not need to shop. That I would, as the cringe-inducing saying goes, 'shop my closet.' With the exception of one Uniqlo mini-ish skirt of recent-ish vintage, that did not happen. The reality is, the wearable, reasonably-well-fitting clothing I own is precisely the stuff I already wear. The other stuff was all sort of terrible, but for so many different reasons. Much of it had to do with details - button size, flared-ness of sleeves and pant legs - that make clothing look dated after a decade. But there were also all the items that never quite fit but were a nice color or print or something, which is maybe easier to get away with at 19 than 30. And then, of course, was the stuff that was just stained or worn out. But the main takeaway was that it took me ages to develop a sense (chaotic as it may be) of personal style. Whatever was in evidence in the items bought prior to, say, 25, it wasn't that.

5 comments:

Miss Self-Important said...

Fact: 50% of your unwearable clothing will be deemed wearable by someone on eBay.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Not that there's much I can do with this interesting information now, now that the stuff is gone, but for future reference... Isn't that complicated? And doesn't it involve trips to the post office? Just how much would someone have paid for my mocha-stained jackets from college? (Which were not Chanel to begin with.)

Miss Self-Important said...

Yes, it does involve trips to the post office, but you print shipping labels at home and just drop the stuff off, so no complex postage purchasing. If the stuff is damaged, it probably won't sell unless it was fancy to begin w/, since for some reason, people WILL pay for stained Chanel jackets. But if it's a recognizable brand (including fast fashion like H&M and Gap) and in good condition, you'll usually be able to get rid of it for $5-$40, depending on brand and item.

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Ack, so this might have been sort of lucrative. No stained Chanel, but some lightly stained Banana Republic. And a relic or two of some Agnes B. sale from 2005, including a WWPD classic: the skirt I was wearing in an early WWPD photo that elicited a comment calling me fat. In fairness to that troll, that skirt did me no favors.

Miss Self-Important said...

Well, for the future then. There will surely be more clothes to come.