Sunday, March 15, 2009

'Diary, a blog'*

So taxes... still looming. But the day was productive otherwise. After waking up late, after an impressive two-party Saturday (impressive for third-year grad students, that is, not for 20-something New Yorkers generally), I managed to do the following:

1) Grade exams in a locale that turned out to be on the route of the Brooklyn St. Patrick's Day Parade. I'd have switched locales if this had not been my apartment. Bagpipes and marching bands are not conducive to figuring out whether a given error merits a full point or just a half-point off. (Fear not, students who, in that anything's possible, might have nothing better to do on spring break than read their TA's blog. I double-check plenty. And, thanks to the bagpipes, will probably have to triple-check as well. Now go back to enjoying vacation, and studying for the quiz I'm giving you the first day back...)

2) Give myself (with some help, or else I'd have a mullet/tail) a 1920s-style haircut. No bangs, because one day, after I've been bailed out, I plan on having a professional hairdresser make sure they at least start in the right place, however uneven subsequent trimming may be. Which means I'm waiting till my hair is this long to get bangs. (That hairstyle, btw? Want!) When my hair reaches that length, that is when they will bail out the grad students. Mark my words.

3) Make this molten chocolate cake a second time, this time a) taking the cocoa-powder-rather-than-flour suggestion re: the ramekins; b) baking them nine rather than seven minutes; and c) succumbing to peer pressure (hi, Jo!) and pairing the cake with vanilla ice cream. Given how quick, simple, inexpensive, and (most importantly) low on dishes the thing is to make, a more appropriate pairing might be the gym.

*To whom it may concern: Credit's yours if you want it...

3 comments:

PG said...

The straight dark bang from the top of the head and long dark hair is for now associated in my mind with Silk Specter II in Watchmen (where she does very well with it, despite the improbability that one can effectively fight multiple muggers at once with all that hair for them to grab onto).

Toast said...

I'll take that credit, thank you.

http://www.yankeepotroast.org/archives/2008/02/gift_idea_diary.html

Phoebe Maltz Bovy said...

Hmm. That wasn't what was meant by the post title. Think about what it sounds like for a moment, forming the three words into two...