Wednesday, July 16, 2008

No country for Francophilic Zionists

In a few weeks, I'm going to Belgium. That is, if it's still Belgium. If not, Flanders it is. I'd better be careful not to slip into my default foreign language (French), given the current political situation, although a switch to my second default foreign language (Hebrew) might bring its own set of difficulties. If all goes according to plan, by the time I leave I'll be capable of reading German--the course I'm taking is a reading class, so speaking German but adding more unpronounceable sounds and hoping this amounts to something like Dutch is not an option. Probably for the best. English it is, although I plan on opting for silence, smiling and nodding, and asking Jo to order me waffles.

1 comment:

Withywindle said...

Re Yeats allusions and Belgium: All things fall apart, the center cannot hold.