Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Don't worry! It's not a Jewish thing!

10 PM, the uptown 6, around 23rd Street. A woman recognizes the guy sitting next to me and dashes up to him. She is like all googly-eyed with PURE JOY. He seems pretty uninterested.

"Hey!" she says.

"What's up?" he asks.

"I just got out of Kabbalah class."

"Uh? Kabbahwa?"

The woman is incredulous. Frankly, so am I. I mean, isn't in Kabbalah everywhere nowadays? There are like five thousand Kabbalah centers in NY. Ashton? Demi? Madonna? Roseanne?

"Kabbalah...it's like a spiritual thing," she explains and then lets her hands fly. "It's like, people think it's a Jewish mysticism thing but it's not. It's not really Jewish at all. I don't know why people think it is Jewish. It's just spiritual."

Kabbalah is pretty sketchy. But I think it's also pretty attached to a lot of Jewish ideas more than anything else. Maybe the woman meant you don't have to be Jewish to do it? I mean, that's true. She just seemed so perky and cute underneath her perky little beret and then it's like, "hello, I'm crazy."

Whatever...clearly there are crazy people lurking beneath berets everywhere.

No comments: